Personalised Christmas Cards 2017

Wednesday 16 January 2013

Embroidery Hoop Alteration


The challenge over at Anything But a Card is things with wings, this is a bi-weekly challenge and will end this coming weekend.  I love bees, butterflies and all things fluttery so had the ideal stamp for this challenge, I wanted to use my Personal Impressions bee and a Stampers Anonymous honeycomb stamp, but what to use them on!


As luck would have it my mum was sorting out here sewing things and asked me to get rid of some old embroidery hoops and frames, she is 89 and anything she needs to get rid of she gives to me, usually so I can take it to be recycled somewhere.  Well I decided to recycle one of the hoops myself for this challenge.  I had seen an article in one of the Craft Stamper mags some time ago for an altered hoop, although I hadn't taken much notice at the time it stuck in my head and popped into my mind when I was sorting through the hoops and frames.
 

The Aida was from an old cross stitch which never got finished, slightly faded but a pretty pale blue, the honeycomb was stamped over the Aida using brown Stazon.  The bees and flowers were stamped onto tissue paper, coloured with promarkers, cut round and stuck to the Aida.  
 
The fabric was fastened into the hoop, trimmed and fastened underneath with double sided tape.  Using double sided tape again I fastened the lace round the hoop.  Some of the honeycomb was highlighted with stitching and beads, and a few buttons were added to the background.  Little butterfly beads were added to the lace and a beaded rope added to the hoop fastener.  I wanted to add some wording, time flies or bee mine, but couldn't find anything suitable I wanted to add.

Another project I enjoyed working on, now I only have to think how to get rid of the remaining hoops and frames! 



3 comments:

  1. what a neat project- such a thoughtful way to use her start and create something unique and gorgeous- so cool! Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you have done with your mum's hoop Sylv. I too used one of my late mum's for the same purpose. It works really well doesn't it. It is terrfic how you incorporated the old unfinished cross stitch and then added the modern touch of the hexagons and xtamping. Thank you for joining us at Anything But A Card this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a COOL project! Awesomeness! :) Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete